Saturday, May 27, 2017

次が何ですか?

(Please note:  the Japanese in these posts is likely to be horrible.  I am a beginner, after all, inviting whoever wants to come along.  If I don't polish these in accord with any suggestions in comments, I ain't dissin' you, honest.)

I have to read All Quiet on the Western Front, and was thinking I might do it in Japanese in Kindle format, waving mouse pointer over words I don't get for help.  That leads me to two problems:

1.  I don't have anything nearly as good as rikaikun for Android.  I was able to find Popup Japanese Dictionary (H/T LearnJapaneseOnline), but it's not as robust as rikaikun:  less likely to actually find an answer.

Now, I can just highlight text and Google will let me scroll to an option to Translate -- in Chrome.  It's not working in Pocket, and it's too much trouble even in Chrome.  うるさい.  (Rudeness warning on that last comment.)  Any ideas?

2.  I can't find anybody who'll give me an e- version of 西部戦線異状なし (All Quiet on the Western Front).  So it's moot.

What else?

How about the Gospel of John?

It shouldn't require a huge vocabulary.  Its sentence structure shouldn't be too 難しい.  It's bound to be free online.

And so it is.  (ヨハネ ... です。)

「初めに言があった」。OK, With Google's highlight and translate, and the web page's audio, I can get this.  Still a lot of work.  No way am I ready for 西部戦線異状なし.  Maybe I need that JLPT 4 reader I don't want to pay shipping on.

(Edit:  Someone did a few chapters of John in a video series, explaining the language point by point as Mangajin would.  I was pretty excited -- not so much after the first video.  The narrator's accent is like he's not even trying -- I think he'd agree -- and the explanations don't do anything rikaikun/rikaichan isn't giving me already.  No, that's not true:  rikaikun doesn't always know the right pronunciation for kanji, and this reader does.  Still.)


No comments:

Post a Comment