Sunday, May 28, 2017

Android tools

Struggling to get that Gospel of John thing going (previous post) I definitely found the need for some tools for the Android tablet.  Here's the best setup I can find.

rikaichan for Android (H/T Kanji Koohii Forum).  Forget rikaikun for Chrome; it doesn't seem to exist.  So I installed Firefox and rikaichan.  (Read the Koohii thread for installation instructions.)

It works beautifully.  I only have to touch and hold the character, and rikaichan figures out how much text, starting from there, to consider as part of the word it'll define for you.  If you weren't precise where you touched, use the arrow key to bump it left or right.  I keep bumping it to go through difficult sentences.

Google Japanese Input.  Turn off that horrible kana keyboard and use roumaji input just as you would on regular computer.  I'm not completely happy with it.  It's easy to get from Japanese to Roman input (touch a button at the lower left to toggle), but it's eliminated spelling suggestions for English, which is a pain.

John's still tough, because rikaichan, cool as it is, doesn't understand entire sentences; Google Translate does, but doesn't explain them.  But I'm getting further now.

No comments:

Post a Comment