Friday, January 10, 2020

(Mostly) automated construction of Anki flashcards

So I have a new method, and it's not terrible. :)

Get the text in. If it's a web page, I cut and paste. If it's a printed page, I use the Google Translate app. (As you can see, it struggles sometimes, but it's better than digging it all out myself.)


Put it in the Takoboto app. This picks out keywords. I select the ones and put them in a list.
Then I send that list to AnkiDroid. (Don't send each card -- the rest of this won't work.)

Problem was that it gave me a card that either was English->Japanese; or if Japanese->English, shows the furigana on the front with the kanji. But I want to have to provide the pronunciation, so I want it on the back.

I went into Anki on the PC (it's too hard to edit on the tablet), Tools > Manage Note Types > jp.takoboto > Cards, made sure Japanese > English was selected, and edited appropriately (the cards are written in HTML).

It's working for now at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment